The Director and Official edit of the short vieo clip for N4J (edit log)

‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗


▲▽



Edit log (the official edit)

1.Date/programme title/location
Give the details
 
2.Description of material to be edited and what tone/audience you are trying to reach
The footage shows two different angles of James who has been interviewed. The footage is about 20 minutes long and it needs to be shorten to about 4 minutes without including the questions.
 
3.Key edit decisions taken within that time frame and a discussion of their creative impact 
The largest and more important decision that I had to make during the process of editing was to break down James's' interview into small parts that contain the most interesting and powerful statements. It had to entertain and inspire. It also had to fit it 2 minutes where the whole interview was about 20 minutes long. It was a big challenge and it took the most  of the time. From the best answers I picked the best parts of them and then I spend very long time in putting them into the right order. Then I had to decide on the cutaways that I would place on top of the interview. They had to work with the soundtrack and what has been said by James as much as possible so it would be pleasant to watch.

4.Key techniques/tools used. What are they and how do they function? 
For this short edit I used already edited cut always which I mentioned in the "cut aways post"
 I also played with the sound to have it a bit quiet when James was talking and lauder a the beginning and the end. Also the important part was to start turning the volume up when James was finishing his part. I think it made the message seem more powerful. I used simply the pen tool to mark where I want my sound bridges to start and end. 
 More than that I used dip to black or dip to white tool to make some of the jumps between different cuts more smooth. 














5.Areas to improve on for following edit 
I think that I managed to put pieces together pretty well. Maybe I could have used better cut always in better moments to make better link between the visuals and the sound. I think I could improve on the time I spend on choosing the right things that James said. I think I spend really a lot of the time on it and I feel like I would like to learn how to find the good parts quicker, just to safe the time.

‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
  
Edit log (the director edit)

Everything that has been dome for the offcial edit is basycally the same as it is for the director edit. There is only a couple of small changes that I made. Those are:


The logo that is presented at the end of the director edit has been used at the begining of the offcial edit, to show the importance of Norwich For Jobs rather that our company and logo of our company that has been used at the begining of the director edit has been used at the end of the official edit, hust to present who did the film, rather tan introdue it at the begining.


In the director edit I have a small section before the actuall video starts. I did it as a short introduction, however it has not much to do with the purpose of this video. It much rather introduces the company that produced the video. I did it because I wanted it to look like those excented logo presentations before showing a film like for example disney does (they used it for the first time with The Pirates of Carabean).

I decided not to give the client this version of this edit because I thoght that it was unnecessery. Therefore I liked what I produced and it allowed me to experiment a little bit and get into the tone of the video that I was going to edit. The glitch and interesting transitions between te shots were like a first step to me to know exactly what I was doing.

The footage was not exactly random. It was filmed before James came to be interviewd so the footage is from the set of the interview, so technically the whole thing still stay consistent.
 

Comments