The cut aways (shoot log, edit log)
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
The shoot log
1) Date/programme title/location:
The cut aways were filmed on write the date and locations
2) Role:
That day I was responsible for the camera and filming the footage.
3) Crew & their roles:
With me there was another person who helped me with carring the equipment.
4) Key storylines captured & characters:
We started next to the Cafe Britannia and we made our way down, throuht the
riverside, next to the trainstation and finally the city centre. We wanted to film very
characteristic places for Norwich, which later could also been used as photographs
for our title sequence. (We had to use the screenshots of our footage, because the
photo camera was already booked by another team).
5) How has this affected the overall direction of the
content?
This shoot did not influence the direction of the content in any way, because we
already knew what we needed. It was only needed to fill the space between the
interviews footage. Nothing on the way changed the way we wanted to presented
the documentary. It was siple filling gaps.
Therefore, beside the recognasible locations, I have recoded more of the footage
that captured interesting things I saw on my way. That was going to be used for the
short cut that N4J wanted us to produce apart from the Mini Documentary
itself.
6) What do we need to capture at the next shoot?
N/A
7) How well did the shoot go?
I believe that the shot went very well. I filmed enough of the footage to cover the
whole documentary so there was no need to film any more of the cut aways.
All of the cutaways were kept in rather cold/blue tone, which helped with staying
consistent. We managed to record all of the locations that we have planned to film
and all of the separetly filmed footage was good to use.
8) How could we improve?
I believe that in the future there could be more than just one camera and so we
could film more footage in shorter amout of time.
Also some of the shots were quite shaky (those where I could not use the tripod).
In the future I would like to work on my handheld skills. Having the shot as still as
possible would be more pleasent to watch.
8) How could we improve?
I believe that in the future there could be more than just one camera and so we
could film more footage in shorter amout of time.
Also some of the shots were quite shaky (those where I could not use the tripod).
In the future I would like to work on my handheld skills. Having the shot as still as
possible would be more pleasent to watch.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
The edit log
1.Date/programme title/location
The cutaways write the date and locations
2.Description of material to be edited and what
tone/audience trying to reach
The material to edit were the cut aways filmed around the norwich capturing
The material to edit were the cut aways filmed around the norwich capturing
strangers and recognasible locations in Norwich. They were kept in cold/bluish
tone, which made all of them consistant with the other footage. It was going mostly
to be used in the short edit, so I wanted the shots to show Norwich and people
arund; especally young people. I wanted some of the shots represent what has
been said in one of the interviews that I was going to use as the voice over.
The shots and decisions based on what I was about to film were kept in this
creative approach that we had since the begining of the project. It was meant to look
interesting for both young people and local employers. The cold tone and the
representation of the city were aimed at the emplyers. The voice over was aimed at
both employers and young people.
To make the video pleasent to watch also for the young people I used different
editing techniques, which will be described in the next question.
creative approach that we had since the begining of the project. It was meant to look
interesting for both young people and local employers. The cold tone and the
representation of the city were aimed at the emplyers. The voice over was aimed at
both employers and young people.
To make the video pleasent to watch also for the young people I used different
editing techniques, which will be described in the next question.
3.Key edit decisions taken within that time frame
and a discussion of their creative impact
There was not many thing that needed to be really thought about. What I did was cut off the parts of the cut aways that were no good for the use and keep the ones that look nice. When I kept all the good parts, that was the time where I used some of the footage and I editied it creativly using lots of the tools from the premere pro. For example : https://minidocumentary012.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/coloring-and-sound-effect-on-premeiere.html (this post explains what I did with some of the cutaways).
There was not many thing that needed to be really thought about. What I did was cut off the parts of the cut aways that were no good for the use and keep the ones that look nice. When I kept all the good parts, that was the time where I used some of the footage and I editied it creativly using lots of the tools from the premere pro. For example : https://minidocumentary012.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/coloring-and-sound-effect-on-premeiere.html (this post explains what I did with some of the cutaways).
4. Key techniques/tools used. What are they and
how do they function?
Most of the tools that I used where the "cut" tool to get rid of the parts of the footage
that I did not want to use. For the more creative part of the editing I used tools such
as the speed tool or the coloring tool which are explained in this post:
https://minidocumentary012.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/coloring-and-sound-effect-on-
premeiere.html
I also used the scale and movement tool to move the image and change its size for
glitch effect. Again it has been already explained in the post: https://minidocumenta
ry012.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/coloring-and-sound-effect-on-premeiere.html
Along with changing the speed of some of the shots I also leyered different clips
on top of each otehr with different speeds and opasities, just to make the cut away
look more interesting, creative and modern.
5.Areas to improve on for following edit
I believe that I could learn about more interesting techniques in which I could edit
the cut aways. I could use this knowladge to create really interesting and unique
visual effects. Mybe next time I could use after effects and add some of the
projects done on there. For example drawings on to of the footage or revealing
image like it was done for our title sequence. It all goes down to more of the
creative experimentation.
I believe that I could learn about more interesting techniques in which I could edit
the cut aways. I could use this knowladge to create really interesting and unique
visual effects. Mybe next time I could use after effects and add some of the
projects done on there. For example drawings on to of the footage or revealing
image like it was done for our title sequence. It all goes down to more of the
creative experimentation.
Comments
Post a Comment