Evaluation
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
1. The proccess
At the begining of the project I started with learning about different types of documentaries and their convntions. I was introduced to the different clients I could work with and I choosed Norwich for Jobs and John Crome (Norwich School of Painting). Norwich for Jobs was my first choice, because I wanted to help young people who cannot find job. As a young person myself I understand the strougle with finding job very well and I thought that I could relate to this project on a prsonal level. Similary was with me second choice, where I could express my love to art. Both project were very interesting, however I felt like Norwich for Jobs has larger impact on the comunity and it can do lots of good and I wanted to help with that.
I learned even more about interviewing people and setting up the cameras and the choisen location. I learned how to ask questions so the interview can go smoothly. I learned about lightining and how important it is while filming. I gained the experience in communication with the client through emails or phone calls as well as face to face meetings. I learned how to interact with people to make them feel a bit more comfortable in front of the camera.
I also had the chance to practice my editing skills as well as I had oportunities to practice with working with the soundtracks.
2. My role
In our team my role was to do... most of the things.
I was mostly working with one of my friends from the team. He was the one who was typing and I was the one who was saying what to type. That way I wrote the emails to our client, the questions for the interviews and the paperwork for our production folder.
Later on I had a long conversation with my team, saying that I need their help and so later on there was another member of the group who did the call sheets and the risk assessments when myself and my other friend could not do that by being busy with something else.
I was also responsible to talk to our mentor and give them the information on our progress, or asking for the lifts to some of the locations. I was also the one being informed about any email that has been gone to my mentor not to our media company email. In our team the format of the documentary was given by me as the idea and i did not feel like the rest of the group really gave me any help with that.
Later on, a couple of days before the Christmas break, one of my friends helped me with editing the main documentary, and that was when I got any kind of opinion on my work from my friends.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
During the shoots I was helping with setting up the lights, deciding on the background and the placement of the interviewee and the cameras. I also decided on the basic framing for the interviews.
I was the one filming the cut aways. The only ones that I did not do were a couple ones from the Marks&Spencers and at the St Edmunds Society.
I was the one responsible for asking people to sign the documents and to hold on to the production folder at any time we went somewhere.
Moreover at times I was the interviewer and the sound person as well. There was only one time when we were interviewing Shane, where my friend could not possible get enough of informations from him so I helped with asking some more questions.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
At one point we were told that we could film another person, and everything was ready for it, however our clients lied and he did not got in touch with the person he said he did and when we go at the location we meant to film at, they had no idea that we were going to film there. My team got slightly annoyed and they started complaining. I went with our client’s colleague to the reception to apologise and she actually got us the permission to film at the location which was the Forum. It was a great news for us, however my team was too annoyed to care so I grabbed the least annoyed person and I told them that I am going to film as much as it is possible around so we will have more interesting footage for our mini documentary and he was the only person to actually help me do it.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
I tried to divide the work for each of us so everyone would have something to do and the work would be equal for everyone. One of my friends was very good at graphics and he wanted to do the title sequence and the lower thirds so I asked him if he could do that for us. He was more than happy to do so. I wanted to work with them on it, because we were going to use some photographs. I took them and I edited them for my friend who alter on used them in the further process of creating the title sequence.
I was left with the editing, so I asked one of my friends to edit Matt and Clare and the other one to edit Shane and Lorrain. They had two people to edit so I decided to edit James and because there was no more people for him that we interviewed, I also decided to edit the short clip with him. That way everyone had two things to do. It sounded very good in my head. I was sure we can make it. Sadly my friends didn't really care about the edits. One of my friends were not at the college because they were not well so they did not finish off the edit and the other friend of mine was absolutely sick of the course at that time and he was mostly complaining about it. None of them did a full edit of their interviews so when we put together all of the edits, they had to be edit from the beginning.
Sadly none of my friends helped me with it until the couple days before the break.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
When I finished editing the short edit I was asking for their opinions, mostly just the friend who was complaining, because the other one was sick at home. My friend did not even looked at it.
I felt absolutely alone and tired. I had a conversation with my mentors. I believe more than once. I also spoke to my team. Sadly it didn't really work.
I feel bad saying all of those things. But this is how it looked like. I am not saying that they did not help at all, because they did. One of them helped me with writing the questions and such as i mentioned before. The other one actually did some paperwork when I asked for it and the third one was working very hard on the graphics. Therefore the work and organising everything was in my hands. Even though I was the one to take care of the main edit, I hoped that they will do their part in 100% so we can move on and make this project work. Sadly it didn't happen.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
When we were about a couple days off the break, I was asking some of my friends to look for the soundtracks if they were not going to work on their edit. They did not. I asked them to try to do some editing and they did not really do much.
I understand that maybe their editing skills are not very good, but it does not mean that they did well with not trying their best. I also did not know all of the things that I did for this edit, and I was able to do them because I learned about them as I went along with it.
I believe that it all goes down to the attitude that two of my friends had. If they actually tried to help it would all look very different.
Because I can imagine myself explaining some of the editing techniques or giving them clues of what to do if they did not know and they simply needed my help, but I was being constantly put down by "i don't care" comments. I was not asked for help. The edits were just not done.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
This project for sure showed me that I may work with very specific people in the future. It forced me again to work mostly by myself which was not something I wanted to do this time. I wanted to work as a team, which sadly didn’t work.
I had those issues with those people. I was very stressed to do everything and have things done and have them done well. It was not something for us but for the actual client. The things we made were meant to be given to an organisation. Organisation that tries to help and make a difference and I really wanted to help, because I believe that it is amazing what they do and what they can achieve. I felt ashamed that we did not managed to finish the edit before the Christmas break. I wished we worked better as a team, because that was what we really needed to do. It was not possible for just one person to do all of the work that had to be done.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
Beyond the obstacles, I loved what I was doing. I loved learning about how to interview people. I loved how me, someone who is absolutely terrible at communication with others, especially strangers, was able to overcome that even a little and learn how to interact with people to make them feel comfortable. I loved talking to our client and doing my work professionally and with the passion. I loved going to shoots and making all of the paperwork. I really enjoyed editing and i loved how at the end of the day I was absolutely exhausted. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity i was given to do all of those things. I just wish that I could experience the teamwork that I needed so much throughout the whole project.
I hope that I did not sound rude, because at the end of the day my team was also my friends and this situation won't change the fact that we are friends. It was very difficult time that did not changed our relationship as friends. Sadly I do not want to work with them in any of the future projects. If I will have to, I will work as hard as I did in this project or even harder and I will do my best to try to work together with them and hopefully they will as well.
3. The outcome
We have not finish the main edit yet, however I did finish a shorter edit that our client asked for. I described it in the director edit post
and the client feedback post
4. The limitations/possibilities
During the project I was able to work with a great charity called Norwch or Jobs and I could meet young people who showed me that I was not alone with the problem of trying to find a job and not being very successful with it. I was able to meet interesting people from places like St Edmunds Society or Marks&Spencers. I learned about different possibilities that theer are for young people who look for employment and it also showed me how big of an issue it is. I was able to film at the Forum which I find very exctining as it is something that reminds me of Norwich the most. I really like this place and filming there and being able to use it in a project that I planned and produced maes me really happy.
The only limitations that I faced was to get rid of anything that mentions specyfic people from the organisation or Job Centre itself. It was not a great obstacle so I overcame it very easly.
5. The things I could improve
I think that in the future I could imrprove on my interview skills so I will be able to ask more questions that could be formed from what the person had answered . I tried my best while doing it but I think that I can get way better at it. I also think that I could be even better at editing, using more, interesting techniques and tools that will make the film look very good and proffesional.
I want to feel more comfortable while talking to people and even though I was able to completly change and do my work while I had to comunicate with the client or the interviewees I still feel like I need to practise more of that skill.
1. The proccess
At the begining of the project I started with learning about different types of documentaries and their convntions. I was introduced to the different clients I could work with and I choosed Norwich for Jobs and John Crome (Norwich School of Painting). Norwich for Jobs was my first choice, because I wanted to help young people who cannot find job. As a young person myself I understand the strougle with finding job very well and I thought that I could relate to this project on a prsonal level. Similary was with me second choice, where I could express my love to art. Both project were very interesting, however I felt like Norwich for Jobs has larger impact on the comunity and it can do lots of good and I wanted to help with that.
I learned even more about interviewing people and setting up the cameras and the choisen location. I learned how to ask questions so the interview can go smoothly. I learned about lightining and how important it is while filming. I gained the experience in communication with the client through emails or phone calls as well as face to face meetings. I learned how to interact with people to make them feel a bit more comfortable in front of the camera.
I also had the chance to practice my editing skills as well as I had oportunities to practice with working with the soundtracks.
2. My role
In our team my role was to do... most of the things.
I was mostly working with one of my friends from the team. He was the one who was typing and I was the one who was saying what to type. That way I wrote the emails to our client, the questions for the interviews and the paperwork for our production folder.
Later on I had a long conversation with my team, saying that I need their help and so later on there was another member of the group who did the call sheets and the risk assessments when myself and my other friend could not do that by being busy with something else.
I was also responsible to talk to our mentor and give them the information on our progress, or asking for the lifts to some of the locations. I was also the one being informed about any email that has been gone to my mentor not to our media company email. In our team the format of the documentary was given by me as the idea and i did not feel like the rest of the group really gave me any help with that.
Later on, a couple of days before the Christmas break, one of my friends helped me with editing the main documentary, and that was when I got any kind of opinion on my work from my friends.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
During the shoots I was helping with setting up the lights, deciding on the background and the placement of the interviewee and the cameras. I also decided on the basic framing for the interviews.
I was the one filming the cut aways. The only ones that I did not do were a couple ones from the Marks&Spencers and at the St Edmunds Society.
I was the one responsible for asking people to sign the documents and to hold on to the production folder at any time we went somewhere.
Moreover at times I was the interviewer and the sound person as well. There was only one time when we were interviewing Shane, where my friend could not possible get enough of informations from him so I helped with asking some more questions.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
At one point we were told that we could film another person, and everything was ready for it, however our clients lied and he did not got in touch with the person he said he did and when we go at the location we meant to film at, they had no idea that we were going to film there. My team got slightly annoyed and they started complaining. I went with our client’s colleague to the reception to apologise and she actually got us the permission to film at the location which was the Forum. It was a great news for us, however my team was too annoyed to care so I grabbed the least annoyed person and I told them that I am going to film as much as it is possible around so we will have more interesting footage for our mini documentary and he was the only person to actually help me do it.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
I tried to divide the work for each of us so everyone would have something to do and the work would be equal for everyone. One of my friends was very good at graphics and he wanted to do the title sequence and the lower thirds so I asked him if he could do that for us. He was more than happy to do so. I wanted to work with them on it, because we were going to use some photographs. I took them and I edited them for my friend who alter on used them in the further process of creating the title sequence.
I was left with the editing, so I asked one of my friends to edit Matt and Clare and the other one to edit Shane and Lorrain. They had two people to edit so I decided to edit James and because there was no more people for him that we interviewed, I also decided to edit the short clip with him. That way everyone had two things to do. It sounded very good in my head. I was sure we can make it. Sadly my friends didn't really care about the edits. One of my friends were not at the college because they were not well so they did not finish off the edit and the other friend of mine was absolutely sick of the course at that time and he was mostly complaining about it. None of them did a full edit of their interviews so when we put together all of the edits, they had to be edit from the beginning.
Sadly none of my friends helped me with it until the couple days before the break.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
When I finished editing the short edit I was asking for their opinions, mostly just the friend who was complaining, because the other one was sick at home. My friend did not even looked at it.
I felt absolutely alone and tired. I had a conversation with my mentors. I believe more than once. I also spoke to my team. Sadly it didn't really work.
I feel bad saying all of those things. But this is how it looked like. I am not saying that they did not help at all, because they did. One of them helped me with writing the questions and such as i mentioned before. The other one actually did some paperwork when I asked for it and the third one was working very hard on the graphics. Therefore the work and organising everything was in my hands. Even though I was the one to take care of the main edit, I hoped that they will do their part in 100% so we can move on and make this project work. Sadly it didn't happen.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
When we were about a couple days off the break, I was asking some of my friends to look for the soundtracks if they were not going to work on their edit. They did not. I asked them to try to do some editing and they did not really do much.
I understand that maybe their editing skills are not very good, but it does not mean that they did well with not trying their best. I also did not know all of the things that I did for this edit, and I was able to do them because I learned about them as I went along with it.
I believe that it all goes down to the attitude that two of my friends had. If they actually tried to help it would all look very different.
Because I can imagine myself explaining some of the editing techniques or giving them clues of what to do if they did not know and they simply needed my help, but I was being constantly put down by "i don't care" comments. I was not asked for help. The edits were just not done.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
This project for sure showed me that I may work with very specific people in the future. It forced me again to work mostly by myself which was not something I wanted to do this time. I wanted to work as a team, which sadly didn’t work.
I had those issues with those people. I was very stressed to do everything and have things done and have them done well. It was not something for us but for the actual client. The things we made were meant to be given to an organisation. Organisation that tries to help and make a difference and I really wanted to help, because I believe that it is amazing what they do and what they can achieve. I felt ashamed that we did not managed to finish the edit before the Christmas break. I wished we worked better as a team, because that was what we really needed to do. It was not possible for just one person to do all of the work that had to be done.
‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
Beyond the obstacles, I loved what I was doing. I loved learning about how to interview people. I loved how me, someone who is absolutely terrible at communication with others, especially strangers, was able to overcome that even a little and learn how to interact with people to make them feel comfortable. I loved talking to our client and doing my work professionally and with the passion. I loved going to shoots and making all of the paperwork. I really enjoyed editing and i loved how at the end of the day I was absolutely exhausted. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity i was given to do all of those things. I just wish that I could experience the teamwork that I needed so much throughout the whole project.
I hope that I did not sound rude, because at the end of the day my team was also my friends and this situation won't change the fact that we are friends. It was very difficult time that did not changed our relationship as friends. Sadly I do not want to work with them in any of the future projects. If I will have to, I will work as hard as I did in this project or even harder and I will do my best to try to work together with them and hopefully they will as well.
3. The outcome
We have not finish the main edit yet, however I did finish a shorter edit that our client asked for. I described it in the director edit post
and the client feedback post
4. The limitations/possibilities
During the project I was able to work with a great charity called Norwch or Jobs and I could meet young people who showed me that I was not alone with the problem of trying to find a job and not being very successful with it. I was able to meet interesting people from places like St Edmunds Society or Marks&Spencers. I learned about different possibilities that theer are for young people who look for employment and it also showed me how big of an issue it is. I was able to film at the Forum which I find very exctining as it is something that reminds me of Norwich the most. I really like this place and filming there and being able to use it in a project that I planned and produced maes me really happy.
The only limitations that I faced was to get rid of anything that mentions specyfic people from the organisation or Job Centre itself. It was not a great obstacle so I overcame it very easly.
5. The things I could improve
I think that in the future I could imrprove on my interview skills so I will be able to ask more questions that could be formed from what the person had answered . I tried my best while doing it but I think that I can get way better at it. I also think that I could be even better at editing, using more, interesting techniques and tools that will make the film look very good and proffesional.
I want to feel more comfortable while talking to people and even though I was able to completly change and do my work while I had to comunicate with the client or the interviewees I still feel like I need to practise more of that skill.
Comments
Post a Comment